We do not have flexi timings where i work. Its defined work hours. I have been able to contribute to the organization i work for, significantly...(so i think). Yet, i strictly avoid late sitting in office, unless something urgent crops up. Within this time there are a gamut of targets to be achieved. So how does one do that? I make most of the limited hours available and follow some basic rules learnt from some lovely ladies i met during my career and some learnt on the way.
1. Reach work on time
2. Do not participate in office politics, more energy than you think is lost in the process! You lose your work hours big time
3. Let your work speak for you
4. Don’t bitch
5. Keep at it, your superiors will recognize your good work sooner or later
6. Stop procrastination, the task that you have been avoiding for real long is not that complex. All you need to do is open that file and start NOW
7. Save your holidays. Might be useful when your kiddo might need you. Learnt this from a senior colleague in office
8. Volunteer in new initiatives of your company
9. Undertake trainings or certification courses for self development. They will help you deliver better at work and you never know when these may prove handy, maybe when you are hunting for a new job.
10. Be a self starter, initiate new ideas and find better ways for doing the same job.
11. Avoid surfing the net.
12. Smile and work with your team, not against them
13. Enjoy whatever you do and give your best